Monday, October 19, 2015

Ideas and Concepts BAFI103 - 19th October

Monday 19th October 2015 

Course Module - BAFI103                          Ideas and Concepts                       Lecture - Dan P

Tutorial for Super 8 City

Jay didn't turn up to this tutorial so I went solo - Myself and Dan, the lecturer discussed the Super 8 Project ideas that I had come up with, with the aim of achieving a final plan for filming.

Nizo camera - We will request a tripod to enable us to film the panning shot of the Civic Centre, get different angles of the centre, high angle, low angle, wide angle etc.

We can use the same shots over, play it again in reverse, slow motion, cut away, lighter/darker, play around with the brightness and colour in post, give the image a different perspective that can be perceived in many ways.

Thought further about our shot list for the Super 8 project, what sort of angles am I going to use, how am I going to achieve the frames, continuous or using single frames to create a time-lapse effect, could be really effective to slow down the motion of the ripples in the water, creates a distorted image which is reflected back through the cameras viewfinder.

Dan, our lecturer advised me about the lines of the building, keep them lined up, try to avoid any curvature with the building architecture.

Talked about the camera's settings, set the red dots on everything for the standard shooting mode, could be worth getting a cable release for the camera which will require the camera on the black dot for use, 18mm standard use for the super 8 camera.

Collect my film stock on Friday from Stu at ERC and then book the camera for a day on the week commencing, ask Stu if he can run through operating the settings of the camera to familiarise myself with what can be achieved.

Super 8 test - IPAD APP

Prior to my discussion with Dan P, I decided to download a super 8 application onto my IPAD as wanted to see what the footage would look like in Super 8 film, the tests went really well, especially when I could see the water reflecting of the sides of the walls. However, due to the sun being really bright, the reflection in the water was a bit faded, which in my mind I thought helped to add a mysterious mood to the building, making it look decrepit. Also I thought that this would make the film look like it was fading away, giving it a scratched effect look.



From today's test, I know that this specific shot will have to be filmed early morning or late afternoon as I need the cloud cover in order to get the best reflection. Having been out today, I have found a few different angles and reflections which I think could work, one panning shot made the building look like an elevator as I moved the tripods handle downwards, with the camera looking up at the roof of the building.






All of the above images were taken using the SUPER 8 application on my IPAD - Videos captured by Luke Curno - October 2015 - Civic Centre, Plymouth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment