Thursday, November 2, 2017

Film 301 - Moorland Re-Wilding Shoot

Friday 3rd November 2017       Research and Experimentation       Lectures: Kaz, Dan, Andy

Moorland Re-Wilding Shoot

For this filming shoot, I have partnered up with a student on my course who has a key interest in sound recording, while I await the birds, he will be set up with a Parabolic microphone nearby to capture the surrounding atmosphere. The location although perfect for my nature filmmaking, it wasn't the best for sound recording as the moorland spot was just off of the main road, which meant that the mic would constantly pick up the sound of the cars as they went on by.

I decided upon embarking into the outdoors to test out and experiment with other ways to film my footage for the rewilding section of my graduation film which will consist of a variety of different shots which can be cut together to create a fast-paced rhythmic montage. 

A week previous I accompanied a bird ringer who I have known for many years, specializing within this niche, monitoring and reporting his findings to the British Trust for Ornithology. He would first set up the nets which are where the birds would fly into the net and get caught up in the netting, but they would be unharmed. In order to attract the species of birds, he would place speakers in the middle on the floor of the netting which would play the audio track of the birds that he was trying to capture.

Here are some behind the scenes shots from the bird ringing (taken on my phone).





















I have downloaded and mixed together to create an audio track which has a duration of an hour, I hope to place this using my phone and placing it into a waterproof bag, chance to experiment with different ways of attracting nature to increase my chances of success. I would like to add that I shall not be using a net of any sort as I want to capture the birds on their flight paths through the treetops.

Here is a link to a blog post which goes into more detail about the setup for the shoot and the process for creating my wildlife set.

No comments:

Post a Comment