Tuesday, January 5, 2016

BAFI104 - Directing and Performance - Introduction

Monday 4th January 2016

Directing and Performance                   Module: BAFI104              Lecture: Andy and Lucy

We watched a short clip of a film called "Gasman (1997) dir. Lynne Ramsay. I thought that this short clip was edited together very well, I especially liked the beginning where the child was pouring salt over a toy car but in the background we heard the lyrics "Let it Snow, let it Snow, let it Snow"

We were split off into tables, given 5 different roles to choose from and we had to choose which one that we wanted to carry out for the day on the film task we had been set, I decided that I wanted to be the sound engineer so I had to go up to get some equipment including a H4N Zoom mic, XLR lead, boom pole, boom mic, dead cat and of course a pair of headphones so that I could monitor the sound quality.

Later on during the day we were split of into the group roles that we had specifically chose, on each table there were different roles and so we had to find everyone with the same script as us in order to form a film production team, our teams then had to travel to the Marjons University, where we sat in the theatre room and got introduced to the programme leader for the acting degree. Once we had finished listening to the task, we were given actors to work with, 3-4 in each group, plus the film team.

In our small groups we were told to make a short film but we had to incorporate the dialogue on the scripts that we were given, whether the words were spoken or acted out, this would depend on the approach that we wanted. I thought my team worked really well together, with George as the cinematographer (directed the shots), Ed as the creative producer making sure that everything was running smoothly, myself as the sound engineer, Rhi as the Production Designer helping to come up with ideas for the location and Jade who helped direct the actors. As a group we wanted to give the actors some ideas but we wanted them to come up with most of them as we felt that they could act a lot more fluently if we gave them the freedom to change the script, make everything a whole lot more interesting.

I thought that I worked very efficiently as the sound engineer within our group, I had to hold the recorder, boom pole with the shotgun and then listened through the headphones to make sure that sound was ok. However, we found a generator in the room, type of fan which we thought might be good to leave on as it gave the room a busy feeling, as if the noises within the actors heads were moving around within the bathroom, sounded like they had power over his mind.

Once I got back to college I started to import all of the sound clips and video footage so that I could put the sound and video together as my role said to link the sound up to the video and put onto your blog, I changed the levels of water so that they would stand out, used cross fades, transitions and I changed the colour slightly for the film to make the mirror look slightly darker.

I have uploaded the video and exported to VIMEO as a short, here is a link to it!
There is a Mirror - Short edited from Luke Curno and filmed by other PCA Students, uploaded by Luke onto Vimeo.


Additional Work 

We were asked by Andy to record a conversation between two people, we could either set up the reorder or secretly record people talking, however we would have to ask for their permission to use the sound. Anyway myself and Nathaniel were aware that we were being recorded, lead to less um's and r's, we still managed to interrupt each other a few time, whilst finishing each others sentences.

Transcript for conversation:

(Inaudible)

Nat: We'll you know, what kind of we'll you know, sound

Luke: We'll I was using the zoom H4N mic and then I had an input mic which was the output, most yeah we did have some sounds that was actually picked up on the camera

Nat: Yeah

Luke: That we was using so that was quite cool

Nat: Yeah I saw that and when you screened it

Luke: Yeah I like your's as well, like the way you, because all of the other groups they did theirs hand held...

Nat: Yeah

Luke: Which was quite funny

Nat: Haha Yeah

Luke: The fact that you used a tripod

Nat: Yeah well that was Dan's idea to use the slider, I always wanted to use the tripod because I don't know I didn't really like hand held, I like it for some shots but not for...

Luke: Perhaps you could have looked in, explored the idea of using the slider...

Nat: Yeah we did use the slider

Luke: No like the, using two different tripods

Nat: Yeah

Luke: On either end

Nat: Yeah

Luke: So you could slide it more efficiently

Nat: Yeah yeah yeah were going to do that for our, because were doing our instructional video on the slider

Luke: Oh are you

Nat: Yeah so we are going to get some local shots using the slider and then we are going to film us you know, using the slider...

Luke: Oh ok

Nat: What are you doing for, with the instructional video

Luke: Were thinking about doing some sort of hall video, so you know when girls do like beauty halls

Nat: Yeah

Luke: So like were going to do some sort of like beauty guru, something like that but were gunnu have a man whose dressed up as a woman, so were going to have like a comedy twist on it.

Nat: What, whose going to dress up as a woman

Luke: We'll I'm not gunnu volunteer

Nat: Whose in your group

Luke: Janusz, emily, no Janusz

Nat: Maybe Janusz will dress up as a girl

Luke: Yeah Janusz could dress up as a girl...... Quite funny that

Nat: Yeah, gotta go now

End of Conversation

References

Gasman (1998) Directed by Lynee Ramsay [Film] USA: Cinema 16 on DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment