Monday, February 22, 2016

Directing and Performance - 22nd February

Monday 22 February 2016          Module: Directing and Performance    Lecturer: Andy and Lucy

Film A Screening and Film B Development

For the first part of the lesson, we spent the time watching other groups short films, I liked the use of colours, the sound design that individuals have created over time, the majority of groups went for the technique of Projection, whereas my group chose to use Green Screen, I think looking at the idea of projection I was able to gather an understanding of how this could be shown across visually. I liked the types of camera angles that I had shot for our film, they were similar to the close ups that the other groups were achieving, I especially liked one shot from the film "Interrogation" where the opening shot appeared elongated, helping to set the scene for the film, I felt whilst watching that the characters were in a wide opened space, however when everyone was getting interrogated in front of the frame, I felt as if the space around them closed up, it was as if the actors were invading each others space.

Towards the second part of the lesson I took the time to head up to ERC as I wanted to find out a few things about the camera, my group are planning to film our first shoot tomorrow, the camera of choice will be the XF100, this was decided as a group from last lesson, looking back on the types of films that we have created so far and the capabilities that we have been able to achieve using this particular camera. I will be able to adjust the shutter speed on the camera according to the movement within the frame, I will be able to use the gain option to make the frame brighter but I was made aware that this would add a lot of noise onto the camera's image, could lead to the film quality becoming grainy. I will have to play around with the lights accordingly but myself and Nat have teamed together so that he can move the additional LED lighting whilst I check the frame to see the difference that it is making, call out any ideas for repositioning the lighting, working with the director to achieve the shot that they require, whilst giving my own input into the shot positioning.

I generated a list of equipment that I thought would be needed for the filming tomorrow;

2 x XF100 Camera's, 2 Libec Tripods, 2 x LED panels, 2 x  2  x Extension 4 way plug, Card reader and USB lead, Zoom H4N Recorder, XLR Lead, Boom Mic Recorder etc.

Out on our test shoot: Myself and Nathaniel booked out the above equipment, I made sure that I checked everything that we had booked out to make sure that it was all working efficiently, made sure that nothing was loose and that everything was secured. I did notice that one of the tripod feet were missing but I slipped a bar mat underneath the leg to make sure that the tripod was stable, it worked well.

Anyway, once we got to the location, as the cinematographer I started to charge the batteries whilst I set up all the lighting equipment and cameras, then I started to position everything for the first shot, where the two actors were sat at the bar talking about their weekends, as well as ordering more drinks.

The actors wanted some pen and paper as well as a copy of the script to read which I had brought with me, I set up a camera either side of the bar to capture different angles of the actors and the lights as they were projected across the wall in the background of the frame.

We had trouble with the sound which threw the whole production out of proportion, I couldn't believe that whoever got out the sound equipment they obviously hadn't checked the equipment to make sure that it was working and that it was all compatible, we worked out that there was something wrong with the zoom recorder, I used the time when everyone was chatting to get loads of camera angles and cut away shots for the majority of scene 3 (ED Scene), everything is hand-held and I added some camera shake to make it look as if it was from the POV of the actor as if they were hungover.

The cut-away shots that I managed to capture were close ups of drinks panning shots for coolers, pumps, beer bottles, cups, mugs, glasses, slot machines, darts board, crisps, boxes etc.

Here are some pictures from the shoot:





No comments:

Post a Comment