Monday, October 30, 2017

Film 301 - Designing a Wildlife Set

Monday 30th October 2017         Research and Experimentation      Lecturers: Kaz, Dan, Andy

Designing a Wildlife Set

As filmmakers we are always using our initiatives to build the sets for our small production films, whether it is a small or wide area, this will be utilised for the filming of a specific scene or atmospheric piece. I have been researching into the different kinds of setups that wildlife photographers create for their intended captures, they are always one step ahead of the wildlife and know exactly how to time the shot. My intentions for this shoot was to experiment with camouflage gear, using a hide to be able to blend into the surrounding area of my location. I wanted to capture footage of garden birds at ground level as they feed on the seed that I have placed around the tree trunks.

Any footage that I capture of the horses, birds or other species of wildlife, I will plan to use for the ending for my graduation film where I will be talking about the re-wilding of the World War 2 airfield known as RAF Harrowbeer. I want to portray the different kinds of wildlife that have taken residence on this stretch of moorland outside of the aerodrome. 

For this shoot I used my Nikon D3300 with a 500mm lens to enable myself to sit far back behind a tree as I watch my subject, this way I was able to get a wider viewing of my surroundings in the woodlands where I was situated. I laid out bird seed along the floor around my intended filming location and I set up 2 fat balls either side of the tree trunks, pushing them into the crevices to ensure that they were in fact secure. 

After an hour or so I managed to capture a few birds as they were returning back through the woods on their flight path, one bird in particular payed close attention to my camouflage gear as I lay beside a tree trunk keeping a watchful eye on the trees ahead. 


The camouflage tent I was inside whilst laying on the floor with a beanbag for supporting the camera and reducing the chances of any camera shake. 

Photo taken using my phone

Just like with the film that I edited "Fired up Punk Energy", I have had the idea of overlaying footage on top of each other to portray different species of wildlife at the same time in 1 particular location, I would like to play around with the footage and layering the birds and horse footage ontop of each other and moving them so that they cover the whole frame of the woodlands. Then I could change the opacity of the horses by making them brighter and it would hopefully create a ghost like effect for my film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment