Thursday, March 17, 2016

Contexts of Practice - Evaluation - BCOP

Thursday 17th March 2016           Contexts of Practice              Lecturer: Lucy Leake

Written Evaluation - 750-word piece to sum up the module
Evaluation for Contexts of Practice – Lecturer Lucy Leake

This was definitely an enjoyable and challenging module, I got to learn about different types of theories and the theorists behind them and of course I was able to carry out research to understand their mindsets. The highlights of this module for myself as a film student had to be the short films I made, making a poster and the magazine task where we had to create our own journal article. I liked the way that I worked towards this module, doing my extra research to gather a better understanding of the subjects I was studying, to be able to back up my ideas or understand others opinions within film, helping myself to become a better film critic. I would always try to watch films that we had talked about within class to go more in depth about the styles and connotations of certain directors, filming genres, how we see a certain style and immediately think about the artist that it could be, links to the fact that we might have seen their work in past films.

I really enjoyed learning about monstrous feminine, it was an interesting subject, the way that I could understand the different types of monstrous concepts, which have been used in a wide variety of different films. Here is a link to one that I created: http://lukecurnopca.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/contexts-of-practice.html.

We looked at a few examples of artists work, got me researching how the original artists have generated the ideas to create these fantastic recognizable concepts of art. One of the most interesting pieces that I was shown was from Salvador Dali, I started to look at how he came up with his ideas, how he created the piece “In Voluptas Mors”, I wanted to see if he had created anything similar before. I was fascinated to learn how he had positioned every girl on set, the angle of lighting that he used, what type of camera that he used to take the photograph, all of these different elements appeal to me as I love experimenting with different examples of technology and frame rates. From researching about the forming of this work of art, I started to realise that this wasn't the only skull concept that Dali created, he also created a lot of others with different meanings behind them i.e. campaign posters etc. http://lukecurnopca.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/contexts-of-practice-27th-january.html - Details my review on Ex Machina as well (with references).

Here is a link to the blog that I wrote for my group presentation, the monstrous mood reel that I created with the idea of a search party for a monster as well as a little bit about the script that I read for Bluebeard.

I was really pleased with the way my poster turned out, feel like by super-imposing Johnny Cash’s face on top of Sigmund Freud’s I was able to link the isolation between the both of them, the fact that they both had a problem with drugs, they started to mess their lives up, I then linked this back to a film called Walk the Line to discuss the character of Joaquin Phoenix, this film is based on a true story, Joaquin plays the character of Johnny, once on tour with his band, he starts to take drugs and drink a lot which messes his life up, everything starts to fall apart and people begin to not like who he has become, including his true love, June. Here is a link to the post with my poster and a short summary of what I thought about it. http://lukecurnopca.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/contexts-of-practice-final-poster-3rd.html as well as a blog including the process/ideas of my work http://lukecurnopca.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/contexts-of-practice-2nd-december.html

The best part of the module for me was being able to take a theorist that I have learnt about in class, to research them further in order to develop my very own Journal article, I based my specific article around Non-Place/Place, I looked into Marc Auge and the book that he had written, I really enjoyed writing this piece, I wanted to give the article the format and feeling to that of something that would be located in the National Geographic collection, I loved linking small quotes to my main concept, the idea I had was both challenging and motivating and I can sure enough say that I made it work with relevant links back to my chosen theorist. Here is a link to my blog post containing my finished journal article as a double page magazine spread http://lukecurnopca.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/contexts-of-practice-4th-march.html

Extra: Thought this post where I watched and reviewed King Kong may help towards my research for my mood reel as well even though it was carried out after the presentation http://lukecurnopca.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/contexts-of-practice-28th-february.html

References: King Kong (1933) Directed by Merian C. Cooper. Radio Pictures 


No comments:

Post a Comment