Monday, March 7, 2016

Directing and Performance - 4th March

Monday 7th March 2016                 Directing and Performance           Lecturer: Andy and Lucy

Planning Work and Shoots

We as the crew have been ready to shoot twice in these past two weeks but the actors keep delaying the shoots due to the work that they have, this has decreased the amount of time that we actually have to shoot and edit our FILM B project which is quite annoying. Never the less, the crew have used the time wisely working together to come up with ideas for filming, lighting, creating mood reels, looking at existing videos, picking up on choice of editing techniques, trying to understand the types of aesthetics that we want our project to contain. I have been working closely with the editor to expand on the shot list I created, I have worked with the director to organise shoots and to provide a list of equipment that will be required for the shoot. I have worked alongside the rest of the crew to talk about the actors performances from the first test shoot that we all created. We thought that the barmaid could have been looking more busy throughout the piece, she sort of stood off camera until the other characters wanted to buy a drink, we took on board what Lucy evaluated when I showed the test shoots to give her an idea of the idea, shot angles, the fact that this was supposed to be the establishing shot for our piece. 

We are planning to film the whole piece tomorrow at Marjons, the test shots have given us an idea of locations, places to film, as the cinematographer it has given me an idea that I would like to make the cutaway shots a lot more focused around what's in the bar, make them longer to give a feel of disorientation. I now know a possible lighting set up that I could stick with, I know where I would like the cameras placed for the establishing shot, we know that we want the music to be turned off as well in the bar, could interfere with the sound recorder.

We had a group meeting today, Lucy showed us a film that we could have a glance at to come up with some ideas for the content in our short film, I realised the ideas of sharp camera movements, the fact that the scene was set at a bar just like ours, we started to think about how we could show that the pace was busy, I started to look at the way that the people moved within the frame, did anyones shoulder become visible within the frame. For example in the film "The Fighter", we were able to notice that the camera wasn't stable, I noticed that the cameraman had shaken the camera, helped to add an element of movement into he frame, the whole piece seemed to flow well, I liked the way that the shots were framed, there were a lot of close ups to show facial expressions, the way that the over the shoulder frames were put together.

I thought that from the test shoot we did, the lighting conditions were similar to that of The fighter, I am still going to go with the idea of the two LED panels as well as the two XF100 cameras.

In the meeting I thought of raising the point that the actors should interact more with each other, showing that they are into the idea i.e. the barmaid to look busy, the shy girl to interact with her drink, I thought that the sounds should be chosen carefully to bring the visuals to life i.e. lots of reverb, a glass smashing, dialogue changed slightly to sound echoey, only an idea.

References

The Fighter - Bar Scene: Erkin Dogrucu. (2012). The Fighter - Bar Scene . [Online Video]. 30 March. Available from:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BCSF-GW-7k. [Accessed: 07 March 2016].


No comments:

Post a Comment