Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Creating an App Design - 9th March

Wednesday 9th March 2016                  Creating an App Design        Lecture: Maz

Ideas Generation

So far for this project I have designed a few ideas to base my application around, at first I had the idea of creating an application that could be used within a film production team; here was the main idea that I had, thinking about the apps usage, capabilities, the reasons as too why I wanted to create this app whilst thinking about the positives that it could have on workflow, time management, organisation etc.

I have a Nexus 5, Android phone. I will be making the application primarily for use on my android phone, I might decide if the App is a success to explore the possibility of creating an application that can be used on multiple platforms.


1st Page - Introduction to my ideas in place

Movie Maker Application Idea - My Main Idea 

My inspiration for a mobile application has come about from the need to have a tool at hand to help with all of the needs encountered in the film production processes experienced on the BA Honors Film Production course that I am studying.
Since starting the course, we have been exposed to many different roles required to ensure that any project is well conceived, planned, executed and finally produced. Without all of these component parts and all of the people involved in the process, things can go quickly wrong, ideas be misinterpreted, or things overlooked. 

It is also important from an editing and evaluation perspective to be able to refer back to original concepts and ideas to ensure that the final production meets the original objectives.

I have thought about how a Application may allow team members of a project share ideas, record their progress and save data and files to a specified location so as the project develops and grows all of this important information is at hand to other team members as and when required. Otherwise target dates easily get missed, important items overlooked and people are waiting on other people to send required files, all this can lead to a poorly executed project which could be very damaging in giving future work as well as giving yourself a bad name.

Therefore I would like to explore the idea of a Movie Maker Application , which could be a tool used from the start point of a project.

The apps Key Features should include

• Project name

• Team Members and Roles

• Concept / Idea / Task Overview

• Script (file upload and editor)

• Location Scouting (image database inc Geo tagging)

• Story board area

• Camera Angles

• Production Crew Notes , Sound clips - Voice recorder

• Database Area for Equipment and Lighting (tips, hints etc) date-able from learning experiences - what works best in what conditions)

The idea being that as the crew start to bring together their work, ideas and general information, this in turn can be uploaded to a central project storage area, for example a project held within Dropbox, Google Drive or Outlook - whatever the choice of the production company.

The App would be best utilized across Multi platform's of IO's, Android, Chrome - as most companies and their staff, would utilize a variety of mobile platform devices whilst on the move. And would rely on Camera and Satellite technology for recording certain data. The idea that I have in mind is that all of the information gathered can then be used and accessed by the crew at the varying point of production.

I proposed this app too the lecturer to see his opinions on my ideas generation for my chosen application, we spoke about the types of capabilities that I wanted to achieve that I had talked about in my initial plan, he told me that 80% of my application would be achievable including the Geo location, camera phone, storyboard, taking notes, project name, scripts, team members and their roles, however he said that I would need to see a developer if I wanted to achieve the idea of the app being accessed across multiple platforms i.e. google drive, outlook, Dropbox etc, he said that this simply wouldn't be achievable in the timescale that we have left to create this application, I thought it was fair enough, it was a bit upsetting that I would be unable to create what I wanted at first but perhaps I could create something with similar values, I started to research more into the type of apps that exist, could I create an application that could be accessed by multiple people from different locations, could I create an application to support the data work that I do outside of University.

Additional Idea - Functionality

I started to come up with the idea that the app could be used to store data, next I started to look into existing apps, most of the layouts were complicated, lots of buttons, different colors, however thinking about my app I want to make mine user friendly, using jot-form I can provide the user with hints as they hover over different parts of the application. I started to generate a form using jot-form which would consist of the information that I would like to portray within the interface for my application. I thought that by generating a simplistic form, I would be able to use this to show the lecturer what I wanted to achieve with my application, how I wanted the app to feel, work and look for the user, the fact that I wanted to provide hints to help people fill in the boxes, if filled out correctly this could create a form of data about a specific category, once lots of these forms have been filled out we could then compare or find out the difference in numbers over a period of time. 

After further research and idea development I have decided that I want to create an application that can be used by people within a group, I want to provide a form or variety of buttons where people can log in their name, fill in data about a Peregrine Falcon (Bird of Prey), this would include information like the number of pairs at any given site, any information that I could relate back to recording Peregrines at lots of different sites in Devon and Cornwall. However, I would like to be able to use abbreviations as I don't want to give out the names of the places that the birds have been located for many reasons, don't want to list them.

A few existing layouts of apps that are used for Data Collecting


  Collect - Data Collection Tool- screenshot







Above pictures: I started to have a look at existing applications within the google play folder, which is for the same format for my device that I want to create the app for, as an android app. I have started to think about the layout for my application, I like the look of the layout above in the first application, I think that it is simplistic, could be an idea for how the buttons or boxes to fill out could be placed, adding the idea of a scroll for my application, everything is one page, create directions to let the viewer know that there is more information further down "Show More". I started to look at the types of elements that I wanted my application to consist of, had the idea of letting the user have the option to "Sign In", give them the chance to create their own bio and keep track of the forms that they fill out monthly, obviously I would like to have the group email as the default so that every time the group submit data, it will go through to the groups email, be able to keep a track of all the information. Other than the hints on the page, I would like to create some kind of progress bar for the top of the page, this would allow the user to check whether they have filled out all of the component parts, could explore the idea of having a notification pop up that puts an aster-ix next to the question/part of information that has either been missed or yet to be filled in.

I wanted to do some more research and practice with the colors that I wanted to use for my application, once I had fully created my form within jot-form, I started to tweak the colors, decided to use a similar color to that of the groups website "South West Peregrine Group".

Here is the example of the form that I have created using Jot-form for my application Idea, I now have the correct types of information that I want my users to be able to fill in, I have the idea that once this form has been filled in, I can create a default email which can have this information sent across too for record, the group have their own email address and so I shall choose this for the default email so that everyone in the group can keep a track of the data that has been submitted. The main section at the top will contain the initials of everyone within the group, making it easy to identify who has filled in the form, for example if "Luke Curno" filled in the form, I would pick from the drop down the choice that says LC and then it would be clear that I was the one who has submitted this information.















I started to think about the positioning for the logo, I helped to generate this website for the group, I am going to be using the South West Peregrine Group's logo which I have permissions to use from the groups google drive folder, the logo was created using a program called pages which is for MAC, I could however import the image and save it in Photoshop as a PSD file which would help when importing the file into Adobe Captivate.
As you can see on the website, the logo is positioned directly in the middle of the page, to make my application in keeping with the website I think that I will position the logo in the center at the top of the page with a possible progress bar located underneath. I would like to have the name of the organisation positioned directly underneath the logo, clearly visible, use a bold font to make it stand out.

Additional Ideas - I have been looking into the way that the app could function, thinking about the clicking process and what that could become in aid of. After looking at my creation from Jot Form I thought that the buttons worked really well that displayed Submit, Clear Form and Print Form.

Target Audience - My specific target audience would be aiming towards 

No comments:

Post a Comment